This award recognises sustainable development in the pharmaceutical industry through innovative and sustainable use of resources and prioritises the needs of the wider environment and society. This can be a reduced carbon footprint, or energy saving products and methods. This can also include the adoption of a scheme that has made a difference to the attitudes and behaviour of staff and resulted in a benefit to the environment, or a new partnership that demonstrates tangible evidence of environmental benefit. This can be on a single project, across a series of projects, or through a change process within an organisation. Entry is by a 5 A4 page submission; the judges will be looking for clear information, backed up by evidence, that pays particular attention to the criteria listed below.
Entry is by a 5-page A4 PDF submission; the judges will be looking for a clear plan and evidence that it is delivering on core objectives, paying attention to the criteria listed below.
- Background: Provide a background of your corporate sustainability/environmental strategy, outlining how it was developed and its objectives. Are your labs and systems accredited to meet environmental standards? E.g. ISO 14001.
- Commitments: Describe the sustainability commitments made in relation to sourcing, management of resources, greening of the supply chain and contributions to the local community. Outline the results achieved to date including any innovations introduced.
- Targets & Results: Describe the measurable sustainability targets set relating to energy and waste management (including chemical, water, and waste related to product design), and reducing environmental impact. Outline the tangible results achieved to date including any innovations introduced.
- Culture: Outline how sustainability has been embedded into your organisation, the level of senior management buy-in and the commitments made to staff training and communication of your sustainability initiatives.
- Commercial Benefits: Outline how your green initiatives are resulting in a positive impact on your business, e.g., increase in productivity, cost reduction, compliance with regulations, attracting employees and investors, etc. Provide metrics where relevant.